So the title says it all. this is back to being about me...my weight loss...me, myself and I.
So I have found out that I have an underactive thyroid, and a condition called Hasimotos thyroiditis.
It has many symptoms, most of which you wouldn't show, but I show plenty. My antibodies are attacking my thyroid gland, killing it basically. the thyroid is involved in all bodily activities, from your toes to your hair!
Interesting...one is weight gain! Over active thyroids give a weight loss as it increases metabolism. underactive reduces metabolism.
I don't know how long I have had this for, but generally when the rest of the symptoms show, you have had it for awhile and there is no fix...but with medication you can find a solution. but meds for life. I don't know how bad I have it, more tests are being done on my bloods (these are the blood tests I wanted to prove to my dearest that I am obese and have many issues that need to be sorted with my weight before I actually give anything up!).
Other symptoms include:
-blonde moments (they didn't say that, but that pretty much sums up what it is it! I think they say fogginess and doing/saying things that don't make sense!).
-brittle hair and nails
-dry skin
-depression
-moodiness
-prolonged and heavy periods
-absolute bloody exhaustion, even after a sleep.
-dizziness
-muscle weakness
-sore back
-sore neck
-hoarse voice (i often talk like i have nodules)
-headaches and migraines
-mania
-memory loss
These are the ones I am experiencing. There are many more!
Many of these things I have had for a very long time, eg brittle nails...i actually bite them because they used to break at the bottom and hurt so much...and break for no reason at all, so if i bite them, they don't break. Others since I had my daughter (sore back, moodiness, depression-although not diagnosed i do suspect, or at least have depressive states, memory loss).
Many of those things are accepted as being part and parcel of having a child. We put up with these things thinking they are the norm, when in fact, they aren't the norm. They might be what happens immediately after giving birth, and will improve after a few months or maybe even a year, but shouldn't continue forever!
I am more tired now then when i was pregnant (and that is saying something because during my whole pregnancy i was dead...and incredibly ill). I have a nap, wake up and need to sleep. my naps have gone from a 30 minute sleep to 2 hours. and then i will sleep later on too.
I thought everyone had naps. Apparently not. Men don't have them as often as women, and not all women have them. It does seem to be a teacher thing...a lot of teachers have naps. and because a lot of my friends are teachers, again i thought it the norm. now i talk to non teacher friends, apparently no. once every now and then, but not every day!
Things that have only happened recently are the headaches (not really migraines) and the dizziness. The dizziness in the past 3 or 4 days. that is what prompted me to go to the Dr the day that I went.
I had started thinking there was something wrong when kickboxing was becoming harder, not easier. I was slowing down, and even had to stop cos i thought i was going to be sick. My last 2 kickboxing sessions i almost cried with absolute embarrassment that I couldn't survive! I went from one of the fittest to the only one who couldn't complete the session!
Over the past 2 weeks, I have ran twice...last monday and today.
Today I ran because it has been so long and i had some chocolate melts that i needed to work off, AND i was doing marking, the headache was coming and the eyes were drooping. it was 3.30 and i knew if i slept i would sleep until 6 and then sleep tonight would be a nightmare. so i went for a run. I decided to break my run to walk 15 walk 15 walk 15 walk. The first 15 was really hard. the second 15 was almost not completed, and the last fifteen didn't happen. I ran home the second 15. I stretched got in the shower and the dizziness hit me. OMG it was just horrid. I normally run for 30 straight...so this was really slowing it down.
Since then i have been walking around like a zombie. I am about to go to bed!
I so hope my Dr can sort this out really quickly! I hate feeling this deflated. I am back at work next week, and don't know how i will function! I am on holidays and feeling like death warmed up (just), what will work bring?? On the good side, Dr is WOW WOW WOW with my weight loss. He cannot believe how much I have lost. I also had the girl test and boob check. He asked me if I had felt any bumps, and i said "yes...but i think they are called ribs!" I couldn't feel them previously, so whenever I check the boobs for lumps, it is like I am touching someone else! Ribs don't exist anywhere near my old boobs! LOL. He is really happy with everything I am doing in regards to my weight, the rate, the way, the type of exercise etc. Can't wait to see me when I reach WW goal (another 10.8kg) and would like to see me lose 5kg more (that would take me into healthy BMI). But he has stressed to me that he wants me to get to that weight and see if I am comfortable. He thinks I might actually prefer being that bit bigger, and with my athletic build I may find it hard to get down that low.
Anyway...
I so need energy! I so need normalness back! I so need sleep!
Good night all.
And again, another thank you for the support! :) And yet another long post!
xxx
Hasimotos.
ReplyDeleteDo you follow Sarah At Just Me? I think she has Hasimotos too.
http://www.hawkercentral.com/sjh/2010/03/11/medical-mystery/
I REALLY hope your Dr can get it sorted QUICK!
Oh, you poor dear! So much to cope with and now this!
ReplyDeleteBut NOW you know why you've been struggling for so long! I'm sure the medication will make a huge difference for you!
Trust in your Dr and things will improve soon I'm sure!
Best wishes - Gae xoxoxo
I'm so glad you went to the Dr. This is a worry! I do know people with thyroid probs who lead normal lives while taking meds forever. Hope this all gets sorted out for you SOON! Feeling like this will make relationship issues magnified. Good idea to get healthy before tackling that.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
PS I'm a teacher and might nap one Saturday in 6 or so. Not a normal pattern for me!
Thanks for commenting on my post! I really appreciate it! Funny thing is, I teach this age group too and have such a connection with all my kids! I have Grade 5 and 6 Drama students and get along with mostly all of them.
ReplyDeleteIts the mothering part I seem to have a hard time with. I love your suggestions about using skating as an incentive.
I tell him that I dont expect A's just his best. We have had reward charts, house "money"..he does something good he gets some house money he can transfer to rewards...skating time, computer time, that kinda thing.
I know I just have to persist. It breaks my heart to see him like this. I wish I had a magic wand!!
Thank you though..much appreciated!