Well, I did my first Zumba class. I have heard so much about this, and was really excited. My friend cancelled on me, and I said I would wait until next week. but then thought...no, i said i would, and I will.
So me, myself and I zumba'd with 2 instructors.
Yep. Just me. the lonely only tool shaking my booty, and the rest of the bits that just want to wobble on their own free will (which is a lot of bits). I really did feel stupid, and while I had fun, I think I made it fun because I laughed at myself, not because the actual Zumba was fun. The instructors were gorgeous...and when they move like Shakira, it is just so intimidating, and you realise that no matter how far you come, you have a loooong way to go. It was not even the work out I thought it would be. I can see that it could get there...but my slow jog seems to get me a better cardio workout! I will give it a few more goes and hope that it was just pretty crappy due to the lack of interest tonight!
So after that, I am rethinking my day, because I had a total self esteem boost today!
Before today...yesterday at work...I had MORE people tell me how great I looked. But this time...it was "your skin is just glowing, you look so happy at the moment"
"gee you have a buzz about you, you just look and act wonderful"
"wow, look at the clothes you are wearing, you look great in them and you are acting confident in them too" "holy cow, look at that waist"
"gees, your legs are looking great in that skirt, you need to wear skirts more often to show them off"
"I have been meaning to tell you that you just look fantastic. Head to toe, great. And you are smiling more. You really look proud of yourself"
I normally catch up with my ex once or twice a year. Ex of like 10 years ago, always got along, broke up because I moved town...so we get along well. He hasn't seen me since probably a year ago...and lets face it...i was FAT!
He saw me and didn't think it was me. Was just jaw on the floor. Couldn't stop saying how great I look! I told him I have a long way to go still, but thank you. Talked about my trip to Melbourne when I am just looking gorgeous...and he said
"You can get on the plane tomorrow...you are already there"
Sometimes you just have to put yourself around people that know how to make your day, or week! He just made me feel like I was equivalent to Jen Hawkins! I really felt beautiful! And he is sooo proud of me.
Now tell me. Why can an ex I have seen about 10 times in 10 years tell me I am gorgeous and be proud, but my husband can't? Can't even acknowledge the change in me? And I know that people who see you daily don't notice the changes...but seriously...you can notice the changes. just short of 20kg loss, there are huge changes!
Ex is eager to catch up in July this year (so soon!) because I said I would have lost hopefully what I wanted to (so reach goal??) and he cannot believe I have much more to lose and wants to see how much more fab I look then.
So why can't my husband be proud? Why can't my husband tell me I am beautiful? Why can't my husband acknowledge? Why can't my husband...look forward to the future??? Do I want to know the answer?
hmmmm....now I don't feel as good as I did....another self esteem boost required urgently! :)
(Maybe just re read the above minus the husband bit over and over and over...)
Good for you for going to Zumba! But it has to be weird to be the only student! Surely it would be more fun if there was a whole room full of uncoordinated people with wobbly bits.
ReplyDeleteFeel great to get those compliments doesn't it? As for your husband - maybe you need to leave this blog entry open on your computer for him to read?? And think about this - when did you last compliment him for something? Maybe showing him the love will get you some in return? I'll shut up now - I'm no marriage counselor!!
Congrats on all the fab compliments. Good stuff!!
ReplyDeleteAs for you husband, perhaps he is feeling a little threatened. I hear of so many women *getting into their power* once they lose all their weight and, especially if their marriages have been less than fantastic (not commenting on yours, as I have no idea) they then have the strength to leave.
I have actually (life) coached a number of women on this issue. I agree with Deb. Perhaps he needs reassurance that you love him and that you are excited about all the things you will be able to do *together* as you continue with your weight loss and once you get to goal weight.
Good Luck!!
Hi there, it sounds like you are going great! The husband thing is pretty tough, when I told my boyfriend that I was going to join ww the first thing he said was "what's it going to mean for me". It's been hard, but he has really taken it on board and in fact now he wants to exercise together. I think Deb's idea is a good one, my man finds it hard to talk about the emotional stuff, so I made my blog my homepage because I know he uses my computer sometimes - and I can tell he's starting to understand me more! i hope you can crack him soon ;-)
ReplyDeleteI have so much to say on this business of husbands and the language they use (or don't use) and the way that us losing weight affects them.
ReplyDeleteYou have the momemtum. You have the drive. He is feeling left behind. IT IS UP TO HIM TO CATCH UP. And he will. And you will already be there, gorgeous.