Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mothers Day Classic...plus food!

Well, I did it!
I ran the 7km mothers day classic!
And WOW how many people turned up? It was great! And a sea of pink! And to see guys there supporting wives, mothers, aunts...whoever...it was a wonderful event!

I must confess, i walked about 10 metres...at the drink stations. The first time i grabbed a cup and kept running, and almost choked...so the next 2 i walked the length of the station while i had my drink! But surely that doesn't count in walking?!

I am incredibly for 2 other reasons with the run:
1. I didn't lose. I know someone has to come in last, and it isn't about winning or losing, but achieving your personal goal...but gees, I don't want to be last!
2. I wanted to complete the run in under 50mins and got 44 minutes. It was really hard because i didn't have my ipod, so no running/pace music - they said you couldn't have them, but so many people did, i was spewin! And with so many people, you just can't get around people, especially for the first 2 - 3km. you are going so slow the first 2km that you could probably just power walk it, and then you just can't get around people. so it was really hard to judge what kind of pace i was going. So to do 44mins...WOOHOO! :)

Now for the next fun run...the HBF run for a reason. I haven't registered yet...will do that soon...wont be raising money for this one...will wait for the city to surf for that. I am going to do the 14.5km i think...but wont be running it. and i will not be running up or down hills. my poor ole knees don't like it!

So now for mothers day food.
no gifts first.
I think my DH was being a smart arse and got me slippers. thankfully they are nice and cosy sheeps wool slippers and i have worn them all day (feet a little tired from the run)...but gees...you buy slippers for nanna's (sorry anyone who is a nanna out there, but that is what grandchildren get their grandparents!).

So it gets better...present number 2...
I got chocolate!
What was he thinking? why would you do that? and don't try to stand up for him... he KNOWS i am on WW. He KNOWS that i would rather put 1.5points of good stuff (or wine) into my body then one ferrero rochere...and he KNOWS that when it comes to chocolate...i can't resist. if it isn't around, i don't miss it. put it in the house...i must have it.
so i think it is just cruel!

But a bit of redemption. All my life I have been in love with Michael J fox. He is just the cutest guy, and the sexiest short guy around! My students once asked me if I would leave my DH if Michael J fox wanted me...i told them that that was a no brainer!
so my final present was 2 of his autobiographies. 1 is more for highschool/uni graduates...but i have found it really good as a teacher (i am half way through it). just reminds you that students don't have to be smart in the academics to achieve...life experience and natural oomph CAN and WILL get you through, if you want it for yourself.
I haven't looked at the other one yet...but it is Michael J Fox!

So, while i might sound like a selfish, ungrateful whinger about the first two presents...the final one was a good one! I love it!

And my DD was so cute. She is 2 1/2 and at the age where she just loves gifts - giving and receiving. As soon as I walked up the steps from my run she was at the door screaming at me to give me my present. i had stuff to put down and she was literally forcing the present into my hand. The smile on her face when I opened them, put the slippers on straight away...she was just sooo pleased! so I guess, i shouldn't whinge, i am grateful i have a daughter who is so giving and it meant a lot to her that i was happy!

So now for the food.
Me being ungrateful again...
DH made a surprise lunch for me. Hot Dogs! I think he forgot that hot dogs were DD's favourite food, not mine! They are incredibly yummy...but with white rolls and normal everyday bbq sausages...do I really need to eat that? Especially with the chocolate? NB: chocolate still not opened and it is 2.30pm! going well.

And another whinge...and i know i should be thankful...but his mum invited us over for dinner, because no mum should spend the evening cooking. how sweet! she is getting take out. i have no choice in it...we are getting Chinese. She asked what flavour cheesecake from the cheesecake factory i would like too! I told her I would love to provide dessert myself. i am doing a fruit salad and got some yummy icecream...not realising until i got home and looked it up...7.5 points for 1 scoop! So i have sabotaged myself!

Thank god for the run...but i don't think i ran 50 bloody points worth!
It is sooo hard. I am thankful for their thoughts, and i know they mean well. It is so hard to say no when the temptation is there, and they want you to be happy with them for doing it. and there is noway i am going to take my own food, or miss out on a sausage sizzle when everyone else enjoys that stuff. WW isn't supposed to be about missing out, and that is why people stick to it. but twice in one day??
And from people who know how much you want to be healthy and thin. From people who comment on how healthy and good you look. from people who tell you what an inspiration you are to them!

I can only blame myself for eating all the food that is put in front of me...i choose to not upset others in saying no. i choose to join in with everyone else and eat what everyone else is eating. i choose to eat beyond and above my points level (impossible not to with the food choice available). so therefore i must accept a gain on tomorrow nights weigh in. i can limit it with portion size, one glass of wine only (if any but really hard to resist one glass on my night!) and lots and lots of exercise!
But gees it would be nice if people didn't make it so damn hard!

My whinging and ungratefulness over now. i should take dog for a walk and get closer to achieving my 50 bonus exercise points (currently on about 7 so FAT CHANCE of that happening!)...but since i had to get out of bed before daylight on MY DAY...i am resting my eyes for a few minutes (READ THAT AS: AS LONG AS MY DD SLEEPS!).
:)
At least i can still smile! :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow, congratulations on surviving the 7km run! I did a 4km event and it was an awesome way to start the morning!!

    Cass :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Work completing the run!!! (and no, the walking at the stations doesn't count as walking!)

    I know what you mean about your husband, mine does the same! Chocolates and Hot Dogs... he needs a good talking to! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Rock! I had a big whinge to a gf on saturday night over a few wines, is there a way to calculate bonus points from the energy used in whinging? ;-) Don't stress letting it out is good for the soul xx

    ReplyDelete