Tuesday, January 12, 2010

First one...

Well, I am overweight, but doing something about it!
What made me put on weight in the first place?
When haven't I been overweight? I was born normal...but piled on the kilos in the first 2 years of my life (well, so my baby book says). And I just got bigger and bigger!

Now I have my own gorgeous girl...who is now just over 2...and thankfully, I have kept the kilos at bay for her. She is of perfect weight and health.

All in all, I don't want my girl to go through what I did as a toddler, child, teen and adult. I don't want her making excuses for what she looks like. I don't want her to hide behind masks to compensate for her low self esteem.
I want her to be happy naturally. And my positive attitude which is coming with my goals will do that!

Before anybody comments that I am already putting a focus on weight and looks for my daughter, and inevitably this will be negative...
I make sure I NEVER speak about weight in front of her.
I make sure I speak positively, even if I might not believe it for myself.
And, lets face it...Life is about what you look like. People are discriminated against due to how they look, the colour of their skin, how skinny/fat they are, what abnormalities they have/have not, the blemishes they have that day... It may not be right, but it happens.
And as a fat person, all my life, i have suffered. I won't be suffering for the rest of my life though.
It changes now.

My goals aren't to be skinny, aren't to be beautiful, aren't to be a model...being fit and healthy and happy within myself...that is what I am achieving.

I started Weight Watchers in November...just changed my eating based on the plan. boy did I eat a lot! I ate healthy food...always lots of veges. Always trimmed fat off food. But every now and then at junk food, just like most people do. But I would pile my plate high with the good stuff...go back for seconds. eat throughout the day...I never realised how much I actually at in the day!

i didn't up the exercise as I was injured (and not recovering because of the weight), so just focused on the food and portions.
Then I looked at the alcohol. Lost 4kg in 2 weeks when i cut the alcohol down. Unbelievable!

Now, I have started doing a lot of exercise. Injury is almost gone and I can run, jump etc. So I jog every 2nd day and generally take the dog and my daughter for a walk every day. My pedometer steps are normally around 13000 for the day, sometimes close to 20000, sometimes just under 10000.

So far, all of this has helped with a total weight loss in 10 weeks of 8.8kg.
It will only get better! Already I feel fitter, stronger and happier. I like this feeling and don't want to lose it!

2 comments:

  1. Good on you. And I dont think you are teaching your daughter anything bad by teaching her that weight is something you need to keep in a healthy range to be a healthy person.

    I took my son daughter and partner for a walk tonight and I asked my son if he knew why we were walking and he answered "to be actively". I was glad he had the general idea!

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly. I know it is so important that our children know why we need to be healthy and active and fit...but I don't want my DD to be hung up on her weight so hopefully if she doesn't get to my stage, she will never have to be hung up on it! :)

    It is good your kids know there is a reason behind your walk! In fact last night, my DD grabbed her doll's pram, called the dog and said "I'm taking Jordy running!". Normally it is walking, but because I am taking him running a fair bit, she has now changed it! She loves spending time outdoors so she has been set up well! :)

    ReplyDelete